do we have to wait for the priest to walk all the way down the aisle; or can we just go before the community announcements to beat traffic?
I love the looks I get when people ask me if I went to church today, and I reply with no I took a walk instead. I love the necessary loops that christians jump through to get their religious fix on the big three holidays of the year; Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas.Yes, I took a wee walk today, down to the park around the corner from my parents house. During this time, I reflected, thought about the ones I love, the things I love, my hopes, my dreams, my well wishes, and my fears.
As much as a cynical sermon from a catholic priest would have enlightened my easter experience, I find these alone times to be far more enlightening. The outdoors, the sun, the breeze, the sounds of nature are far more of a experience of higher power than any stained glass and parade of robes.
I do not like organized religion, I have said this before on this blog. I do not like what it does to the mentality of hope, the concept of self versus other, and the general politics that seem to keep shaping the true meaning of being faithful.
Go outside today, preferably after your giant piece of ham so that you can walk it off. Close your eyes and take a swing in a park. Think about all the things you should be thinking about and I guarantee you will take far more out of the experience than the sounds of five hundred people anticipating a piece of bread so that they can go home.

<< Home