Wednesday, March 15, 2006

You're more than cool, you're Caramel.

When it comes to popular style, I believe wholeheartedly that the human psyche moves collectively in its ability to favor a particular colour, artistic genre, or aesthetic what have you from season to season. By some complex mix of mediated voice, tradition, and or boredom of the old, people have an inate ability to shift through fads and come to an accord that things need in fact be hawt for fall, the new black, or cutting edge.

I was, however, introduced to a new concept of trendy today, and I am trying to gather my thoughts towards whether or not, foods, can be seasonly cool?

Now, Im not talking about food art, because that is most certainly trendy. Comfort foods in the winter, bbq in the summer, asian inspired dishes for 2005 and small portions for 2006. But, can actual ingredients in those meals be trendy.

My mom gets this monthly food mag by the friendly people at Kraft Foods. Now we could discuss the embedded messages coming out of this twenty page advert for Kraft products, but there actually are some tasty recipes to inspire you, and not to mention interesting articles like the one that inspired this little mind fart.

The latest issue claims that the following foods are going to be hot for 2006:

citrus
salsa
shrimp
chocolate
caramel

I just cant wrap my head around the idea that food tastes can shift to be trendy. Though of late, I do really enjoy cooking with citrus, and with shrimp, and I do find as I continue to eat out that dishes featuring or highlighting shrimp are all over the menus of the city.

What do you think? Can flavors and foods be trendy? Or is Kraft just on the brink of releasing new microwavable Citrus Shrimp with Salsa dishes?