Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Allo? Is this Korea

I was thrown into the future last night, as I was given the opportunity to talk with my bros from other ho's (sorry Mrs malik and blitztein, but it rhymed) who are all the way in sunny Kwangju, South Korea.

I had been wanting so badly to get in touch with two of my old roommates who went to Korea to teach this past September and have been keeping it cultural while soaking in what is supposed to be the art and cultural capital of Korea. From time to time, we have shouted back and forth some emails, they've sent me some pictures and told me horror stories of that which our little darling Cid has gotten up to, loving life surrounded by a pile of G.I's in the middle of Seoul. Cid just stay alive alright.

However, despite the joy that pictures and stale conversations via the what used to be amazing medium of email, last night MSN provided me with a free service that I never knew could go down. I had what was the better part of an hour video and teleconversation for free with both Aaron and Nomi in South Korea. Who knew that for no cost other than having to log onto to MSN and face the barage of awkward internet conversations from faces of the past, I could also have a meaningful, clear, and comfortable teleconference from the comfort of my brothers room.

That wonderful Mr. Gates; thanks to his golden future thumb has given me an even more convenient way to see the other side of the world as far as Aaron's webcam cord could reach. I wonder if in a few years I will only have to slide on a headset and some goggles and with the wonder of the web I will be thrown into a virtual playground where whether in Korea, Kazakstan, Canada, or Cuba, we can all hug and dance, and drink, and smoke while virtually making fun of Cid for making out with representatives from all sides of a Korean Cold War in one night.


Though they don't want people to know, because they are lazy, Nomi and Aaron have started a blog and though post infrequently can be located at www.whahappeninkorea.blogspot.com

Post a comment, and encourage them to get on the blogbandwagon, they are funny and adventurous kids, making 2 millwon dollars a month, and a bunch of tech toys documenting their lives to prove it.