Wednesday, June 22, 2005

my global eyes love local lives


I made the busblog link list yesterday over at mister pierce's site and what seems to be customary trend for those who are linked I feel it important to write about blogs as a cultural notion now that I indeed have a dated stop on the bus. beep beep!

I come from a very strong media and cultural studies background after spending 40grand to do so, therefore its only right that I use my pretentious tongue everynow and then and try to draw some sort of overarching theory or observation about that which I engage in socially. And yes I will segway with the word observation into my theory on blogs as a whole.

We are a culture of celebrity and that I will not explain further, for it is obvious, but nevertheless it is remarkable how the modern celebrity's awe factor (in my opinion because of the shock North America received after 9/11 but thats a thesis question deserving of another post) has been completely shifted.

Yes we still love our blockbusters, but our culture of awe has turned to a culture of gawk where celebs in the traditional sense do not strike that "oh my god, its her" reaction anymore as has been substituted for a "did you see what she did" hateful eye. We hate those whose fame is burried in riches and primetime documentaries; of course we will still watch, but its not the same, its just the only thing on television. The awe has moved to the everyman, and sorry Tony Pierce but you are the most perfect example. Your blog's traffic and in many ways all of our self-righteous writings published daily thirst for the celebrity of observation.

Tony Pierce has traffic upwards of 3000 people a day. My lovely Paige has traffic upwards of 1000. Thats a lot of people, and that is amazing. We have regenerated our love for the localized in a global world that lets us peer all over. Its global observation of the local generic for we all live different versions of the same but love the idea of what my social doppleganger is doing in Malibu, or Taiwan, or Montreal; How fun!

I speak highly of blogs because it truly is the future of journalism despite what any critic tells me. So what if its documentation of someone's weekend booze fest, its a story, and during my day its mixed in with 50 other stories, some political, some entertainment based, some personal, and I could not ask more from any Hour with George Strombonohoweveryouspellitpous, or Wolf 'I really need my own opinion' Blitzer. I get more global news for the millions of personal web logs than any concentrated network could ever provide me. Embrace this fad, for hopefully its a fixture!

peas.