Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Get in the Now.

I find it increasingly difficult to co-exist with twenty somethings who are completely techno and topically illiterate. When I say topically illiterate I am speaking of people who know nothing of world events unless it has to do with who Nicole Kidman is seeing or why Jude slept with someone else when Sienna Miller is a gift from the heavens. While being technologically inept and not knowing what is happening on the global news wire are clearly far from relateable topics, I somehow find that one is always blended in with another when it comes to those who increasingly annoy me.

Some people are just plain boring, which is not really a fault as much as it is a uncompatible personal characteristic with mine own. And the accelerated boredom comes along with my trying to maintaing relationships with certain people. Maybe its my past academics, maybe its my thirst for video games, and possibly its just that I spend a lot of my office day in front of this screen, but for whatever reason, the majority of the people who live in the town which I currently reside, and of whom I strongly consider my close friends are incredibly BLAH!

There are no many a reason for this outside of a lack of worldly know how and a indifference towards mechanics of communication in the modern day. For instance, text messaging: its not as though the concept of texting someone is incredibly foreign or difficult to wrap your head around. Nor is it costly. The worst thing in the world is when someone says to me, hey I got your text but its too expensive to send one back to you, or it takes too long. Oh CMON, everyone goes over their minutes on a cell phone bill, and youre telling me that the less than fifty cents it takes to return a text message (if even that, because most plans come embedded with texting free now despite your cost thought) is too much of a hassle to let me know your around without having to get into the annoying pain that comes along with a verbal conversation. Traditional phone conversations are boring, they are stagnant, and demand complete attention.

Im sorry, but at no point anymore am I only doing one thing. This phrase alone can be as shallow as meaning I am watching TV and would rather text you a conversation than have you interupt my viewing how big of a number of escapees prison break is going to get to before they decide to just storm the front gate and see who makes it. Stupid show, yet oddly addictive, I mean check out that tattoo.

This is worst at the bar, when I get a text message and someone harps on me for texting in a social hub that is the pub. Im sorry, but maybe if you could engage me in a conversation worth fighting for as opposed to my constant attempt to see if you've listened to or heard or felt for anything other than your science, teaching, or glamour mag in a while, then maybe texting the hottie who reads the paper, may become less of an intriguing scenario.

Granted no one who would ever read this would be who I am talking about, because you've managed to find this page in the first place. But if all of you could write a sticky note or mail a letter to the boring (mostly will be teachers {no offence nicole, its not you im talking about}) that they need to get in the now, it would be most appreciated for my social psyche.

be interesting.