Nina and Billie can cruise with me anytime
You'd think on the morrow following the purchase of my new car I would write something about the multi hundred kilometre boot we took into the city to meet up with some friends; but NAHHH!Let me tell ya, the 2005 palendrome nation is a great ride but more importantly it has a cd player, and though I dont write about it often on this journal I adore music, varied music, and especially music that you stumble upon which you handnt expected to all of a sudden be a top five in the collection.
The first stop I made after picking up my new black executive chariot was a stop to Sunrise records. Now unfortunately a chain store pushing indy image like Sunrise is the best source for music in the ole Whit-b-of eh; but I made do!
I picked up three albums which I have decided will become my budgeted hobby every new paycheck. I grabbed the Bloc Party's summer anthem album; the new EP from Magneta Lane called Constant Lover, which if you like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a must listen; and finally a little gem of a album called Verve Remixed/Unmixed 3.
Now this little nugget of musical bliss was discovered upon randomly in an HMV at the Toronto financial centre a while back when I was "doing" lunch with a buddy that works at BMO head "im a big ass building" office. Isnt it amazing when you are in a music store and the album they are playing over the crowd is actually good, and unheard of, at which point you ask about and take a brief listen promising to buy it later when you have some cash on you.
I bought it yesterday not really knowing what I stumbled upon. What is Verve Remixed 3 you ask; well it takes classic jazz artists from years past and has modern artists remix the old tunes for a somewhat flighty electronica jazz medley of utopic musical harmony; sorry!
But thats not all, see the album was 14 bucks, and alone the 13 remixes by artists like Postal Service, Danger Mouse and RJD2 (to name a few) would of been worth it, but even better, is that this album comes complete with a second cd featuring the original tracks remixed on the first album. I am so in to jazz right now, and I didnt even realize what I had bought.
I would recommend it if you couldnt tell already. Click here for the Verve website and below is a track listing for both albums, though if you read the first half of the first album you kind of already know whats on the second.
Track Listing
Disc 1:
1. Little Girl Blue (Postal Service Remix) - Nina Simone
2. Speak Low (Bent Remix) - Billie Holiday
3. Sing, Sing, Sing (RSL Remix) - Anita O'Day
4. Fever (Adam Freeland Remix) - Sarah Vaughan
5. Come Dance With Me (Sugardaddy Remix) - Shirley Horn
6. Just One Of Those Things (Brazilian Girls Remix) - Blossom Dearie
7. Gentle Rain (RJD2 Remix) - Astrud Gilberto
8. Peter Gunn (Max Sedgley Remix) - Sarah Vaughan
9. Stay Loose {Lyrics Born Remix) – Jimmy Smith
10. Boy's Doin' It (Carl Craig Remix) - Hugh Masekela
11. Lilac Wine (The Album Leaf Remix) - Nina Simone
12. Yesterdays (Junior Boys Remix) - Billie Holiday
13. Baby, Did You Hear? (Danger Mouse Remix) - Dinah Washington
Disc 2:
1. Little Girl Blue - Nina Simone
2. Speak Low - Billie Holiday
3. Sing, Sing, Sing - Anita O'Day
4. Fever - Sarah Vaughan
5. Come Dance With Me - Shirley Horn
6. Just One Of Those Things - Blossom Dearie
7. Gentle Rain - Astrud Gilberto
8. Peter Gunn - Sarah Vaughan
9. Stay Loose – Jimmy Smith
10. Boy's Doin' It - Hugh Masekela
11. Lilac Wine - Nina Simone
12. Yesterdays - Billie Holiday
13. Baby, Did You Hear? - Dinah Washington
*anyone know where to buy trendy hats in the city?

<< Home