Wednesday, August 10, 2005

question: will I have the opportunity to "do" a green chick?

After taking a look at the 2005 brand rankings in july's business week edition, I was shocked and awed not to find Sir Richard Branson's Virgin enterprise amongst the top 100 financially worthy brands on the globe.

My brother and his friends are cool guys, but they have nerdy traits. They smoke like champs, enjoy a good larph, and within the posse maintain a funny guy, a tough guy, two good looking black twins and a six foot seven goof whom I enjoy most of all. Amongst their nerdy traits maintain a love for startrek, an obsession with playing halo 2 on xbox, and often discussion of space, the final frontier, and all the majesty and awe that comes with space exploration. Nevertheless they are always over at our place so needless to say I often get sucked in to the nerdity amongst their late night events.

Recently, the funny guy and I were talking about commercial space exploration and he pointed out how feasible it is supposed to become in the next 3 to 7 years. So I wanted to look further. The reason I am so in awe of Virgin's missing name on the brand power elite is because outside of conquering the commericial jet, telecommunication, reality television (the rebel billionaire does not deserve a link), wine, and knighted CEO's realms of the world, comes the most recent news from Branson's newest company Virgin Galactic.

For those unaware, Virgin Galactic is one of two global companies engaging in the market for commercial sub orbital space tours to be readily available for the private citizen somewhere between 2007 and 2012. I mean where the shit was I when they announced that sooner than later than I thought it would have been, that for only 100 grand or so, johnny whoever, could take a leap through space. I mean thats some sweet shit, no?

What is a larph and a half however, is that once you get over the awe that is the idea of commercial space travel, is when you read about the branding that is going into these space adventure companies. I mean this isnt surprising, its just funny that we've naturally moved advertising and brand placement out of this world. Further examples that branding is an embedded necessity in our material culture as a representative self for the corporate identity comes out of Virgin's possible plan for that the final frontier. Take a read here just to see how Virgin lays out that which they are planning for Virgin Galactic.

So many virgin's, such a small web page. So to sum up where this was all going, I think business week missed a major player in their report, that or they are waiting until the fiction becomes reality, but with the latest news report to come out of Virgin Galactic's website it may not be too long before Virgin takes over Coke, Microsoft as the most dominant brand name to advertise on this planet or the next.
* but honey you can't fit in space, now eat what Ronald told you to!