I love it when you call me big poppa; actually I just love it when you call me. please keep calling me. please!!!
In watching the Daily Show the other night, I was exposed to a pop cultural story on which John Stewart bled sarcastic humour. So much so, I had to tend to my own laughter wounds and celebrity culture pity which after hearing the story, had me leaking culture sorrow out my brain. What? Anyways, so P Diddy, Puff Daddy, Shawn Combs, producer, marketer, da band maker extraordinaire has gone through yet another name change.The alphabetical equivalent to Madonna has decided to drop the P from Diddy and simply go by the much cooler, more socially acceptable and less controversial Diddy. Now normally I wouldnt even waste my time with mentioning this goof balls expired PR schlock but it was the comment clip that the Daily Show producers chose to play that made me want to stand up and shout, WHY DIDNT YOU DIE INSTEAD OF BIGGIE SMALLS??? WHY GOD WHY. Though your police remix of "ill be missing you", is engrained as most likely one of my most memory associated tracks, Diddy has become a self-engulfed ignorant piece of moldable pop clay, stuck in a mystified image of himself which has him thinking he is somehow still on top of the rap game, as opposed to the realists understanding of his current status of hip hop equivalent to Weird Al. His tracks are jokes, he is a joke, his label is a joke, and now his reasoning for a name change is a joke.
What, you ask, is the statement which warranted my long winded preamble before actually stating what it is that he said that made me larph so? Well Shawn Comb's reasoning for removing the P from his Diddy was that "he felt it was getting in the way from connecting him with his fans". Seriously! No like really, thats what he said. Im not lying, don't look at me like that. The self contrived reasoning for Diddy's stumble down the celebriladder is the letter P which has jaded BadBoy lovers since the big change from Puff Daddy.
This just in Mister Diddy: Puff Daddy was your best alias, along with the time you stood behind the camera, or in Wallace's overly large shadow. Yes P Diddy was a stupid name, but trying to make the same stupid alias somehow more stupid is not going to rekindle your once was's. Frankly you should of pulled a Jay Z and returned to your actual name, but then Diddy wouldnt be as cutting edge as his 35 year old plus frame could imagines he is.What is nice about Mister Combs most recent press tour is that it plays in nicely with this weeks edition of Seeds and Applesauce's bi-weekly beats. Now this week I am cheating a little, because I havnt actually bought the albums as of yet, but moreso picked them out not having had the chance to run into the city and pick up my hold order (you may all damn Paige for this, as yesterday she was too busy to meet up with my fashionably late running self). I must also give credit to the writers at Violence of the Blog, because this week is heavily inspired by them.
I was able to lock down the BlueEyes, Bed Stuy mixtape, as well as a long debated Sufjan Stevens purchase. In addition to that I threw an old choice into my Civic Royce and supported Interpol by picking up the Antics album which has remained as a MP3 bedroom jam fest for some time.
Isnt it nice when real world happenings like an epic cultural name change weaves perfectly into a culturally significant happening like my buying of bi-weekly muzak. I think so, and now you do too.
From here on in, I have dropped the E in my last name and will go by Ano!

<< Home